Friday, April 9, 2010

Destination Prerequisities



When it comes to selecting my destinations, I get quirky. I have a bias for serene places that are far and away from the clutter of the modern world. I have a few prequisities which I use as scanners....
  1. I prefer if my Gujrati folks have never heard about my slice of paradise, and should ideally think that I am the biggest looser by going there. If they ask me "Why on earth would you go there  ?" then bingo !! I made the right choice !!
  2. Wherever you go, there should be a fear of getting robbed, bitten by insects, and get ripped off or haggled.  Most of the time nothing will actually happen. When you're back, you will love the fact that you stepped out of your comfort zone.
  3. Ideally you need to change multiple flights or take several modes of transport before reaching there. After reaching the final airport or station; there should be a long scenic drive or a ferry to a neighbouring island to arrive at the point of rest. 
  4. The trail should be a road full of potholes or a long dirt road to keep unenthusiasts away.
  5. Staying at international hotel chains is a NO-NO. I prefer boutique hotels and homestays. If theres a Subway, Mcdonalds or Dominos I might as well go to Linking Road in Mumbai !!!
  6. I need to see mountains, oceans or any waterbody from my bed. Actually from my bathroom as well.
  7. If people dont speak English, its definetly more exotic. I love to see that feeling of shock when people dont understand you. Its often followed by an exchange of smiles.
  8. Beautiful countryside and laidback feel is my thing rather than skyscrapers,traffic lights and dressy people .
  9. I love to try food which I cant possibly identify with and believe that the tastiest food in the world is made on streets.  
  10. Shopping should be in souks, bazaars or flea markets. Bargaining and haggling help you in developing interpersonal and negotiation skills.
  11. Adventure, adventure and more adventure.
  12.  Whereever I go there should be an inherent feeling that I can live there for the rest of my life. If I feel homesick, I will never go there again.


Writing this reminds me of  a village I stayed in the Himalayas called Alai. It was isolated - no electricity or  roads. It was a two hour uphill hike from the nearest motorable road. There were only around ten homes in the village but still an open air school not very far. It overlooked rice paddies and was surrounded by pine forests with stunning mountain scenery. At sunset the children were singing, dancing and playing in the verandah. A  traditional "Bokhari" - wood-burning stove - kept us warm. Fresh vegetables were handpicked from the garden to prepare the meals and cooking was done using firewood. Aaaahhhh......Why cant I forget that dinner under the moonlight :)




What are your prerequisities when you decide to go somewhere ? Please comment :-)

“It is not down in any map; true places never are.” – Herman Melville

No comments:

Post a Comment